Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Are Apple taking the proverbial?

No, but really, are they?

A couple of days ago I posted moaning about how Apple have not bothered to seed the latest beta of Leopard to paying ADC Select and Premier members who did not attend WWDC (despite the advertising on the Leopard Early Start Kit web page making it very clear that paying for membership entitles you to the latest versions of Leopard).

I am a very conscientious developer, I like to think. Whenever I come across a bug in the OS, I post it over at bugreport.apple.com. I have posted a number of bugs related to developer seeds of Leopard. Well, today I received an e-mail from the Apple bug reporting team telling me that they believe that in the latest - WWDC - seed of Leopard they have fixed one of the bugs I reported. They asked me to test it and get back to them on whether it is, indeed, fixed.

So I repeat my question: are they taking the ****? Because they haven't released the WWDC beta of Leopard to anyone who did not attend WWDC, so how on earth can I test this? I replied with a very terse e-mail asking them to keep the bug report open given that there was no way I could test until I received what I had already paid for - namely, the latest developer seed.

What really worries me more than anything in all of this is that I can find no evidence of other developers getting really riled by what I see as seriously questionable behaviour on the part of Apple. Surely there must be other developers out there who feel that Apple are behaving immorally in all of this? Apparently not. At most, other developers are sighing, "Oh, I've been through the release cycle before, it always takes them a month or two to get this sort of thing up on ADC," as though that makes it all okay. Oh well. I guess I just have an overdeveloped sense of justice / desire for Leopard / desire to receive from a company what I have rightfully paid for (delete as appropriate, I just don't know any more).

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Guess what? WWDC Leopard build seeds have now hit the torrent sites, so... even if you've already paid a big chunk of change to Apple for ADC Select or Premier membership, you're still going to get access to the latest Leopard seed later than somebody with a bittorrent client who is now, as I type this, getting it for free.

Seems the order of delivery is: WWDC attendee first, pirates second, then ADC members third in a month or so (if they're lucky).

Really makes you want to re-new your membership, huh?

5:46 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Some good news: http://www.tuaw.com/2007/06/22/apple-to-release-latest-leopard-beta-to-developers-who-couldnt/

10:39 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Scrivener is amazing! or awesome; or... I would add an even greater superlative if there were a direct interface with the iPhone. For ideas on the run, is there anything out there? ...on the drawing board?
h drwoodworth@gmail.com

9:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home