Sunday, January 14, 2007

Gearing up for 1.0

Well, as of today I am putting the finishing touches on Scrivener's Help file (though it needs proof reading; it is very fortunate that the users of Scrivener are writers - a naturally pedantic* bunch, meself included).

What does this mean? Well, hopefully it means that Scrivener should go on sale sometime during the week beginning 22nd January, but most certainly before the end this month. There are a couple of very minor annoyances I need to iron out of Scrivener first (a day's work at most - er, hopefully, at least), and I ought to release a beta 6 in the next day or two so that beta-testers can start proof-reading the Help file, I suppose... But that is really it.

Not that Scrivener is entirely perfect (yet), but it is pretty damn near, in my own rather biased opinion. That is, perfect for me at least - but then that is the whole benefit of writing your own software. At this stage it does everything - in fact more - than it was originally intended to do, so by that definition, 1.0 is complete. There are a few things that would be nice, but which I have managed to say "no" to for version 1.0: for instance, the ability to view scrivenings in an arbitrary (non-binder) order; project notes and references combined into the inspector (the current Project Notepad is really only a pitstop); the ability to search snapshots; a binder HUD in full screen... and so on and so forth. All nice, but not necessary for 1.0. And I have got better at saying "no... for now" to suggestions recently, which is very important if we are to make it to 1.0 at all (it has been a year-and-a-quarter since Scrivener Gold - back then just "Scrivener", before it was down-graded - was first released in beta).

It's been an interesting and gratifying journey to 1.0. I have had very little negative feedback, and a lot of positive and constructive feedback. Even better, I have had some published authors start using Scrivener, so I was able to bend their ears about writing and get some very good writing advice (a very big thank you to Neil Cross and Michael Bywater, both of whom very generously replied to my questions with long e-mails containing excellent advice, and to Michael Marshall Smith who, along with Neil Cross, has given me a great testimonial for Scrivener's web page).

So now it is on with using Scrivener myself. We've booted The Girl (now nearly one) into her brother's bedroom, and I bought a £20 compact writing desk from Argos which now sits exactly where her cot did in our room. So now, really, all I need is talent. D'oh!


*cf. Post on "pedanticism"/"pedantry" below. Wasn't it Churchill who said, "Pedantry is something up with which I shall not put"? (If not, no doubt somebody will take delight in correcting me.)

6 Comments:

Blogger The Apologist said...

Congratulations.

I've come to scrivener late ( or is that latte...)in the development process but I'm really looking forward to the 1.0 - it looks great!

12:23 pm  
Blogger kayembi said...

Hi, thanks for the interest! Debbie - although there is no mailing list, there is a forum, which is where I post all new betas and keep users up to date. You can post there if you need any help and also if you have any suggestions for features you would like to see in Scrivener in the future. There are a lot of helpful users over there, and I do try to answer most queries myself, too. The address is:

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum

Thanks!
Keith

8:07 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

From what I've been able to gather, Churchill's actual words were...

“This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”

1:45 am  
Blogger kayembi said...

See? I said somebody would be pedantic about it. :) Actually, to be really pedantic, I believe that this is one of many quotes attributed to Churchill which is probably apocryphal. A quick Google reveals that everybody has their own version of this quote...

8:33 pm  
Blogger iKlee said...

so i just purchased scrivener. since the first time i did use it, i found that software so nice helping me for my organizational usual nightmares, having to put together small ideas, text, notes and whatever may be, written in different files, or just one big file and slow to find.
now it seems i may work in a clearer and safer way.

thanks indeed.

flavio

9:34 pm  
Blogger kayembi said...

Thanks for your support and for your kind comments, iKlee!
Best,
Keith

10:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home