Thursday, April 02, 2009

Since a couple of readers have taken umbrage at my using this blog to express my opinion on a beloved television show, I have removed the previous blog post on Battlestar Galactica. I guess the misunderstanding arose because some (possibly new) users expect this to be a development blog whereas I, being a one-man development team, have always seen it as a developer's blog. As I wrote in the first post on this blog four years ago:

It's been about a year since I decided to learn how to program in Cocoa so that I could design and build my own application for writing in. I've been meaning to write down my thoughts on this process and on the reasons I decided to embark on this project for some time, so thought I'd start this 'blog as a place for those, and other, more general, blatherings.


Obviously, were it understood to be a developer's blog I doubt anyone would be surprised at a geeky coder expressing a passionate opinion on a science fiction show!

However, these users have a valid point; four years ago no one had heard about Scrivener so I was free to ramble on here as much as I wanted. I have always said that Literature & Latte was a one man company (although now, since David joined, it is of course a two man company) and to take it for what it is, but times change and as an application becomes more popular, users' expectations change, too.

So from now on this blog will remain an impersonal development blog with its remit being limited to Literature & Latte news and information about the ongoing development of Scrivener and other L&L products (by "products" I mean "stuff that I code"). As always it will only be updated intermittently; inactivity here is never a sign of stalling development. The user forums are a much better indicator of our activity.

Of course, Literature & Latte itself remains just two guys working on a program they love.

In the next few days I'll create a personal blog as an offshoot for the rare madman who can bare to read my off-topic ramblings, and I'll try to move all of the older off-topic stuff (discussion about books, films and so forth) over to that.

EDITED TO ADD: I've now moved all of the non-Lit'n'Lat posts over to my new personal blog at http://machine-dreams.blogspot.com.

Apologies to those who came here expecting a development blog rather than the misanthropic mumblings of a developer.

Regards,
Keith
Scrivener developer

13 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

But I've been telling people about "chasing the pigeon." Will you be posting your BSG rant somewhere else? I agreed with you and would like to be able to show people "chasing the pigeon" in context. I've only told a few people but it could catch on...

9:43 am  
Blogger kayembi said...

Just for you:

Machine Dreams blog: Chasing the Pigeon

:)

12:24 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I certainly didn't mind.

12:47 pm  
Blogger Dennis Richards said...

Imagination? ~ Creativity? ~ Innovation?

Too bad. As I reflect on the times and what we need to keep up with its challenges, it seems that personality (aka, a bridge to relationships) is a critical component for sanity. My vote's to keep the personality in!

Over on Twitter we've had the same debate. Personality is still maintaining its position, thank goodness. The compromise is to keep it in check, which, so far, is doable.

And by the way, a creative Brit should not be shackled by tradition ~ would Scrivener exist if you paid homage to "that's not how we write?" Wordsworth and Coleridge knew what to do with tradition ~ they went beyond it and published Lyrical Ballards. Scrivener exists in that tradition.

Read Sir Ken Robinson's The Element for a valuable extension of this idea.

12:48 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Magnificient. Thank you very very much.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Harmonium said...

Oh, for goodness sake, ramble.

And congratulations - you've increased your employee numbers by 100%. How many multinationals can boast that?

5:12 pm  
Blogger legion said...

Oh.

Well, I assume you're not going to change your mind. But as a developer who blogs I prefer the everything approach. Less "professional" I suppose, but a helluva lot more interesting :)

10:00 pm  
Blogger Angie Willis said...

Can you put an RSS feed on your Lit & Lat blog?

6:55 am  
Blogger fabumisskbw said...

I think you should be free to ramble and talk about Scrivener developments. Don't let everything become so impersonal.

2:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, but I liked your rambling (especially since I am also a "Gattaca" fan). And I thought blogs were meant to be personal?

3:03 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I completely disagree with this shackling of your personal thoughts. Please don't turn this blog into an impersonal product development blog. Your software is creative and exceptional. So are you. Show it.

I'll keep reading.

E

7:27 pm  
Blogger J.S. Chancellor? said...

*Sigh* some people just suck, huh? I for one, being a science fiction fan (LOVE Caprica) never mind hearing about it. But, I am glad you started another blog---more of your snark, what's not to love?

By the way, I sort of hate you because I had absolutely no interest in a Mac before Scrivener. Now, I covet. Kind of a bummer since I'm a novelist (contrary to popular belief, we aren't actually rolling in money). I run a writers blog at http://www.jschancellor.wordpress.com. I'd love for you to go take a look. I've included both your personal blog and professional page on my side links (like you've never heard that before *smirk*).

2:28 pm  
Blogger kayembi said...

Thanks for all the support and encouragement. I may re-merge the two blogs at some point, as I really don't have time to update both anyway.

J.S. Glad you don't mind the snark! I have to admit that I'm not really following Caprica. I kind of lost faith in the creative team after the ending of BSG. I watched the pilot and the first couple of episodes, but the whole I Was a Teenage Robot Thing just seems very silly to me, and the Tauron Mafia seem right out of a seventies film. It has some great actors in it though, so it's a shame. The Greystones are good - Eric Stoltz is always solid, and his wife was brilliant in Deadwood.

I checked out your blog - looks great! (I sadly dropped the word "frack" from my vocabulary after the BSG finale, as it just makes me think of That Ending if I use it now.) I'll be sure to check in there time to time.

No need to hate me, by the way - although I personally won't write a Windows version (being a Mac developer with only a single lifetime), I am hoping that we might be able to make Windows users happy one day... But I can't say much more than that at the moment. :)

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

1:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home