Saturday, October 27, 2007

Scrivener + Leopard

I've been getting a number of concerned e-mails recently from Scrivener users who fear that I may have abandoned development of Scrivener because my last blog post here is rather old and was slagging off Apple, and because there is no mention of Leopard on the Scrivener product page...

I would just like to make it very clear that Scrivener is very much alive and in active development. Scrivener 1.1 is Leopard-ready, with a more "Leopard-esque" interface and a large number of tweaks for Leopard. As a paid-up member of the Apple developer program, I have been building Scrivener on Leopard for the past six months or so. I had hoped to get Scrivener 1.1 out yesterday, to coincide with Leopard's release, but there are a couple of things that have caused a delay (not the least of which being that my partner had to go in for an operation on her jaw yesterday; oh, and Tomb Raider Anniversary came out for the Xbox 360, too...). For a start, the release change list is so long that I need to simplify it, and I also need to update the project templates that come with Scrivener 1.1. Scrivener itself is ready and has gone through extensive beta-testing over the past few months.

If you are concerned or need the Leopard-ready version right now (although 1.03 should work fine on Leopard for now anyway), please go to the Beta Testing section of the forum. There you can download the latest Scrivener 1.1 beta (1.095), which runs fine on Leopard (note that there is a minor bug related to script editing and Edit Scrivenings that has been fixed for 1.1). Note that you will be prompted to update your project, and you must get rid of older versions of Scrivener.

At the same time as 1.1 is released as an official (and free) update, the website will also be updated. I have been working hard on that over the past week, as the old product page does not reflect the new look of Scrivener. I've also created a webcast for the page. Also note that as of 1.1, Scrivener's price will be increasing from $34.99 to $39.95 (except for students). The update will, of course, be free to registered users, though.

I'll post again soon about Leopard. Leopard is a great update, and Scrivener 1.1 looks and works great on it. Please be patient as I get the release version ready. It will be with you very soon, and I apologise for the fact that it was not out on time for Leopard. I just wanted to make sure it was perfect...

Oh, and Tiger users, rest assured that Scrivener will continue to work beautifully on both Leopard and Tiger for the foreseeable future.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! You deserve a beer for all the headache Apple has put application developers through with the final release.

12:32 am  
Blogger sergey samokhov said...

Yay! Now, as soon as those new MacBooks are out...

1:54 pm  
Blogger Caleb said...

Awesome to hear that the release headache hasn't burned you out. This is a really wonderful product thank you for making it and sharing it with us!

3:17 pm  
Blogger sgaynor said...

Holy writers block! This is what I have been searching for. I have been typing my book-due May 08-on WORD and tearing my hair out. As an artist/writer, I am a visual gal and WORD just wasn't cutting it in that dept.

I will be bragging about this on my blog after I give it the once over this week. I have already called my friend and given her your site address, as she is writing a novel.

Thanks for your efforts, you are going to make this less painful and actually-dare I say-FUN!

Good luck with the update. I don't have Leopard, with no plans to upgrade at the moment, so I am hoping this will still be active with Tiger.

4:42 pm  
Blogger navigatenet said...

Thanks much for the update--can hardly wait to work with all the new features. I really like this application!!

1:32 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi. I use linux on my laptop which works great for all my needs. Have you though of releasing scrivener on linux?

I admit I have been temped to get an apple laptop but my 4 year old laptop (under linux) still runs everything I need hence my question. I watched the movie you made and love the features of scrivener.

Thanks.

10:18 pm  
Blogger HyperImaging said...

Just to chime in, I have been using Scrivener on Leopard and it is flawless, as it was with Tiger. I have to say, like some others, this program has been life changing for me, insofar as writing. I read somewhere a comment where someone said this program was darn near perfect, and for what it is, I could not agree more. I pitch this software to every MAC user I meet, and many over the net. Thanks for a true blessing for writers, this thing rocks!!!!

2:09 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

i am head-over-heels crazy for this application...i really think it may be the perfect software for authors. now, if only i could use it.
please consider creating a version for linux. i can't afford to buy a mac and honestly, i'm not crazy about the company that apple has become.
please, please give the rest of us access to this great thing you've made.
thanks.

2:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home